Metallurgy, Inspection & Non-Destructive Testing
Brookes Bell offer professional expertise and experience in investigation of quality issues, defects and failure relating to all types of metallic components.
Metallurgy is a branch of science and engineering, relating to the study of metals and materials. By understanding the fundamental behaviour of metals, our metallurgists can determine how a component or structure should react in a given environment or under certain mechanical loads.
We have a wide range of experience in different cases, including:
- Newbuild construction, quality and fabrication disputes
- Technical consultancy in relation to weld repair and inspection techniques
- Damage to ships structures. Identification of cracks and failure mechanisms
- Corrosion analysis and advice on corrosion prevention/protection
- Cargo surveys, including damage to steel products and damage to ships structures from aggressive bulk cargoes
- Wire rope failures
- Bearing failures, including slewing bearings
Our metallurgists are well versed in failure investigation, including securing and documenting samples and conducting examination to determine the cause of failure.
We often provide technical consultancy services to ship yards, manufacturers and vessel owners. This may be in cases when no failure has actually occurred, but a dispute arises over construction quality or further knowledge is needed with regard to handling metals and manufacturing processes. Given the complexity of modern-day investigation, we often work as part of a multi-disciplined team.
Non-destructive testing (NDT) is the scientific process of inspecting, testing, or evaluating materials, components or assemblies for discontinuities, or differences in characteristics without destroying the serviceability of the component.
Our capabilities include level 3 non-destructive engineers who can advise on all aspects of condition assessment surveys, forensic investigations and latent defect identification. We offer reporting of the highest standard and can provide consultancy and procedure review for non-destructive services.